Sunday, September 02, 2007

Variations on a theme

So, it's 4:45 on Sunday on Labor Day weekend. Guess where I am?

The OFFICE. Yep, been here since about 11. Oh the joys of the promotion I got. See...

The 50 hour work weeks weren't quite enough. Now I get to do 60. Yipee!!! Some of it I can do from home. But, see, the thing is, 18 months ago, I was working half time and loving it! What happened?

I was planning to come in yesterday, but had a whopper of a migraine. I was in bed till 4:30. In the afternoon. At which point I announced that my head felt better but my back was killing me and we were not putting off the new bed any longer. Bob & I bought a bed in 1987 for ... $99, I think? It was all we could afford. Anyway, at the time we wanted a firm mattress. So what we have 20 years later is a rock with the Grand Canyon in the middle. You know the huge crevice the you both roll into in the middle? Needless to say, now that we're over 40, we both wake up each morning in agony.

So off we trotted this morning to the mattress store. $1200 later, I can't wait for my new SOFT bed to be delivered. Hell, it's just money, right? *cough, choke* And of course, since mattresses are way thicker than they were 20 years ago, we have to buy all new sheets, too. *sigh*

Which brings me full circle. That's why I'm in the office on Sunday of Labor Day weekend laboring. Someone has to pay for the new damn bed.

3 People Gabbed:

Anne said...

I worked this weekend too... 5 hours Sat and 3 hours yesterday, my regularly scheduled for my second job, but today I have off free and clear and I'm damn sure going to enjoy it. :-)

You're up to 60 hours now? Cripes, with both my jobs I'm at 56 and that's a lot. (((HUGS)))

Rosie said...

Been there done that. In fact Lori what is so ironic is that our new bedroom set and mattress (after having a waterbed for 20 years) was just six months old before I quit the job that was sucking the life out of me. :-P Took a year off and here I am working part time again at the Fire Department lots happier. Of course making a lot less money too. BUT, I did get the bed paid off first. :-)

Stacy~ said...

Ouch, that sucks. Been there...when I worked 2 jobs. Gave that up last November and I've been a happier, more sociable person ever since. But like Rosie, I used the money to pay off my car and decided I like only working one job.

I hope you got to have some fun this long weekend. Hugs.