Sunday, June 24, 2007

Reading...

Susan Mallery's The Ladies' Man and enjoying it very much. Here's a bit of the dialog that is charming my socks off.

From pages 56 and 57.

Rachel set down her glass and glanced at him. "I didn't get pregnant on purpose."

"I know. Neither of us planned on that. We just weren't thinking."

She ducked her head, but he saw her smile. "I was kind of swept away. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before."

"Me either."

She looked up and rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. i might not know you very well, but I'm getting a clear idea about your past. You seem to have women lined up around the block."

"Sure, a lot of relationships, but that kind of heat?" He shrugged, trying to remember the last time he'd felt it. "It doesn't happen very often."

"Are you just saying that?"

The uncertainty in her voice added to her charm. They were already in so much trouble, Carter almost felt still being attracted to her couldn't make things worse. Except he knew it could. A relationship would only complicate the situation. Better to keep his head and think clearly. If only she didn't smell so good.

"I don't do lines," he told her. "You're beautiful and sexy and funny. You dress like a nun and you have a body made for...ah, making love," he said, self-editing to something less graphic. "What's not to like?"

"Wow. When you say it like that, you were lucky to have me."

He smiled. "Yes I was."

Then it goes on... I just really like the dialog. :-)

4 People Gabbed:

Holly said...

I really like SM. All of her dialog is good, IMO. :)

Stacy~ said...

I don't think I've ever read anything by SM. I did like the excerpt though - charming without being overly sweet.

Lori said...

Her books have always been hit and miss for me. I liked this excerpt, though.

reviewer said...

That makes me wants to read more!