Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Music History...Jen's turn

Go to http://www.popculturemadness.com/, click on the decade you turned 18, find the actual year you turned 18 and copy the top songs for that year and paste. Then bold the ones you liked, strikeout the ones you hated and italicize the ones about which you were neutral. The ones you’ve never heard will stay unformatted.

1985 (love giving that info up)

1. We Built This City - Jefferson Starship
2. Smooth Operator - Sade
3. The Boys of Summer - Don Henley
4. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams
5. Walking On Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
6. Glory Days - Bruce Springsteen
7. Axel F - Harold Faltermeyer
8. Born In The U.S.A. - Bruce Springsteen
9. Jungle Love - The Time
10. Crazy For You - Madonna
11. Just A Gigilo - David Lee Roth
12. Sea Of Love - Honeydrippers
13. Into The Groove - Madonna
14. You Are My Lady - Freddie Jackson
15. The Bird - The Time
16. Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
17. I Want To Know What Love Is - Foreignor
18. Money For Nothing - Dire Straites
19. Everytime You Go Away - Paul Young
20. Careless Whisper - Wham!
21. Material Girl - Madonna
22. Roxanne, Roxanne - UTFO
23. All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Don Henley
24. You're The Inspiration - Chicago
25. Through The Fire - Chaka Khan

Amazing. I remembered 20 out of 25. And of course they are now playing in my head. LOL For a big concert goer, I saw only one on this list--Bruce Springsteen. And it wasn't his Born In The USA tour either. Madonna grew up six miles down the road from me...so while I never enjoyed her music, some perverse loyalty prevents me from striking her off.

Question...did you like the music of "your age"? Or did you spend more time listening to music 'belonging' to another age group? For me, it was the latter. I preferred the music my older brother enjoyed. Kind of makes this list feel silly. Nothing really here that I would call my own. Anybody else feel that way?



7 People Gabbed:

Rosie said...

Jennifer, wasn't this fun? I YouTubed alot of the songs because I kept thinking, "oh I love(d) that song!"

No, I feel lucky to have been in my late teens and early twenties in the 70's. Some really great music was around. Although, I love swing music from the 40s.

Lori said...

I totally feel that way, Jen. Although, I did grow up listening to the songs of the 70s, so I don't know that I listened to a different age group's songs, but... Me, I'm a mid-late 70's hard rock chick. That is, after I graduated from Olivia Newton-John LMAO!!!

And my older sister (TB) was listening to easy listening stuff, so that doesn't count LOL.

Lori said...

Oh, and I have to say, I HATED We Built this City! Poor Jefferson Airplane. *shaking head* What a comedown.

Jenster said...

First of all - I LOVE this list! LOL It makes me think of all the bars my friend and I used to go to for dancing. We were only 19, but we knew a lot of bouncers. LOL

And yeah. I prefer either mid to late 70's rock or 90's alternative.

Holly said...

I definitely feel that way. I like music of all eras, but the ones from my list? So not the business.

If I had to pick just one era it would like Lori, 70's classic hard rock, but I listen to just about everything.

Linda said...

I'm a little late coming to this but was amazed when I clicked on 1968. I loved ALL the songs. Ina Godda Davida was on that list - yes!

Kristie (J) said...

*gasping in horror* You're only neutral about Summer of '69?!?!?! That's one of my all time faves and has prompted me to see Bry 3 times now in concert!

And I tried it too and there was only one song on the list I liked when I turned 18. I'm so much more of an 80's girl rather than 70's