Monday, February 05, 2007

Ignorant and Abnormal... That's Me

And I'm damn proud of it. Why you might ask? Well, there was a big commotion over racism by Monica Jackson and a few others over AA authors and the fact that they're segregated into their own section and I have to tell you, I had no clue. Seriously. My Waldenbooks (city population 51,000) doesn't have an AA romance section... all romances are in the romance section. I went to the Borders and Barnes and Noble in two larger cities (population 200,000 and 500,000) close to where I live and there is no separate section there either. Hence, my ignorance to this fact.

Also, on the subject of my being abnormal, I guess I have to be because I deviate from the norm. Again, why? Because up until two or so years ago I had no clue that Brenda Jackson (an auto-buy author for me) was an AA author. Seriously. And it leaves me wondering just how many of my auto-buy authors are also AA authors... but you know what? I could give a rat's ass what color she is. She writes fabulous stories and I enjoy reading them. For me, it's that cut and dried.

Though I am now a bit less ignorant, I'll continue to go around abnormal and be proud of it because I'd rather be different than walking around with a big chip in my shoulder pointing fingers. It's just not worth it.

4 People Gabbed:

Erin the Innocent said...

I'm in the dark about this too Anne. Of course none of the bookstores I'm ever in have different sections like that. They're all more generic (ie. romance, sci/fi, fantasy, fiction,mystery, horror, etc)

Anonymous said...

They're not African-American romance sections. It's a section of the bookstore, usually in the back, where most books of any genre written by African-Americans are shelved. I find it very odd and disturbing.

Lori said...

I've never noticed this in my Borders. Now I'm going to have to go look... will report back on my findings.

Holly said...

That's almost exactly what I said in my post about this. I had no idea that even happened.