Monday, January 01, 2007

Answers For Karen S... Best And Worst Of The Year..Jen's Turn

Answers For Karen S... Best And Worst Of The Year..Jen's Turn

1. The Book That Everybody Else Loved That You Thought Was Wank (A.K.A the most over-rated book you’ve read this year) Can't say that everybody else loved these; just that, in general, they were well received: Shannon McKenna's Hot Night (thought it was her worst ever) and Karen Marie Moning's Highlander books (finally got around to trying one and was horrified)

2. The Book that Made You Cry So Hard That You Had Big Gobs of Snot Running Attractively Down Your Chin (A.K.A, the biggest tear jerker) Wasn't one. The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand may have come close.

3. The Book(s) That Nearly Made You Pee Yourself With Mirth (A.K.A the funniest book you read this year) Susan Elizabeth Phillip’s Match Me If You Can (in total agreement with Karen and Anne) and Mr. Impossible from Loretta Chase (I thought Rupert was fucking hilarious).

4. The Book(s) That Made You Realise That Some Writers Should Never Get Published (A.K.A the worst book you read this year) A handful of ebooks from one popular author. All sucked. Cannot understand her following. Not naming her though. Unnecessary.

5. The Book That Made You Realise That Your Fave Auto-Buy Author Wasn’t On The Same Planet Anymore (A.K.A, Auto-buy authors that you finally binned after years of abuse) None that I ditched completely, but....Linda Howard's Cover Of Night (which I thought was very good) did not deliver the romance or heat I love in her earlier books. On the flipside of this question, I thought Elizabeth Lowell's The Wrong Hostage was a welcome return to her grittier romances of a few years back.

6. The Book That Lead To A Humongous Glom...Worth Any Price by Lisa Kleypas (at Lori's rec) shot me through Kleypas' entire backlist, including the phenomenal Dreaming Of You.

7. The Book That Made You Realise That Not All Paranormals Are Crap (A.K.A the best paranormal you’ve read this year) Tiger Eye by Marjorie M. Liu and Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder.

8. The Book Cover That Made You Want To Shoot The Artist (A.K.A as the suckiest book cover of the year, please provide links) Didn't pay attention.

9. The Book(s) That Made You Realise That Romance Isn’t The Same Old Same Old All The Time (A.KA the most original romance book read this year) Everything from Marjorie M. Liu. Poison Study and Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder. The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand (a romance to me).

Man, I look forward to all these "list the...fill in the blank...of 2006" posts. But they are hard. LOL

4 People Gabbed:

Dev said...

Worth Any Price was my first Kleypas, too. I then had to go on to read several of hers as well (not all, but a lot). I hope to finish up her backlist this year.

Karen Scott said...

Hey Jen, Happy New Year!

Now you've got me wondering if the popular ebook author is the same one as I think, lol!

Lori said...

WAP was my first LK, too. *sigh* Nick is such a stud. Love my Nick. Sp glad you loved him, too, Jen :)

Anonymous said...

I glommed Kleypas this year, thanks to you alls reccomendation. Only one made me scream and instantly delete with great viciousness.

*tapping toe* Why didn't you all warn me that in one the HERO CHEATS ON THE HEROINE post marriage to her? Hmm? *having a whiney moment* I never even saw it coming and was mad, mad, mad for days!!!! Mainly because I liked both the H&H up to that moment but after that wanted his penis to rot off, and could not fgure out how she could let him in the same room with her without dousing him with the equivalent of clorox, let alone forgive him. And trust him with anything after that level of betrayal? Uh, no. They both went from strong to weak and whiney in one fell plot twist. Sent it through my virtual shredder in a pure hissy fit. Have I mentioned I HATE weak cheating men and find them completely unredeemable?

*tappping toe harder* I realy think you should have warned me before sending me off through her back list. I'm not a series slut. I could have quite joyfully had my total love affair with all her other books and just left that one by the wayside.