Friday, November 03, 2006

Anne Stuart Shoots Herself In The Foot

Found this over at Miss Snark's blog and had to see what she was talking about. Oye. From an interview at AAR which can be found here.

You've had a long publishing history w/a lot of publishers. At one time I thought your best books were your Avon historicals, but I think your recent MIRA books have been really good. Talk as openly as you can about the various publishers and how you feel about your current contract.

Oh, crap. I'm always honest, you know. I've had trouble with publishers all along. I probably shouldn't have left Avon -- they were for sale at the time I left and they didn't seem to have a business plan, so I foolishly thought I could do better. That was right before they started doing everything right. Zebra didn't know what to do with me. At the time I was with them they seemed to have lost the ability to sell historical romance -- all their successes were with suspense. They overpaid me and then let the books disappear. Which devastated me, but at least I learned that going for the money is not always a Good Thing.

I don't know what the problem was with Signet. I wrote four really really good books for them, and they started out very enthusiastic, but that enthusiasm waned over the years. Those are the sort of things that break a writer's heart.

So now I'm with Mira, who promised to love, honor and adore me. And maybe they do, but they could do more. I know every writer says that, and I hate to be greedy and ungrateful, but they're not so much about the books. They're about slots and numbers, not about passion for what they're putting out there. Or so it seems to me. But then, right now I'm pretty disillusioned about the lack of support from them. I'll get over it. Maybe they're right and I'm wrong and I'm a middle of the road writer.

No, they're wrong. I'm a goddess.

And maybe I've misjudged them. It seems to me that they look at my books like boxes of cereal on a shelf, and they're in the business of selling cereal, not loving it.

Rats. You had to ask me that question! Some day I'll learn to be discreet.


She was a little TOO honest if you ask me. YIKES.

1 People Gabbed:

Rosie said...

Anne, while it probably wasn't the smartest thing she's ever done, I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making out. It's just an opinion which she states and seems to realize she's shooting herself in the foot.

If Mira is treating her as she says not much will be done. I don't think they or Anne are worried either way.