Sunday, August 20, 2006

HELP!

I need help figuring out a book... Does anyone know who the author of this book is? I'm thinking it's in a Nora Roberts Trilogy but I could be wrong which is why I'm asking for your help...

The premise: The hero is either a sheriff or deputy and he's been in love with the heroine for a long time but she was married, and the guy she married used to abuse her, beat her and such, and the hero says something along these lines when they finally get together (not verbatim), "The hardest thing I ever had to do was to leave you in that house knowing he wasbeating you whenever he felt the need." She would always say she fell or something when the police showed up at the door, and when the hero did he had a hell of a time walking away.

Does anyone remember which story this was? I'm going INSANE trying to remember. Was it Nora? Or was it another author? I *think* it was part of a trilogy, though I could be wrong on that point too. LOL

Thanks much!

UPDATE: Thanks to Rosie, I'm pretty sure it's The Heart of Devin McKade... Thanks soooo much Rosie! *hugs*

3 People Gabbed:

Rosie said...

Anne, there are a couple of Roberts' books this sounds like. Unfortunately, my books are in storage so I couldn't check jackets for you. However, this kind of sounds like Devin McKade in the McKade Brother series originally published in SIM. Here's a link to the book on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140017761029&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=200017944564&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget#DESCDATA

Here's a link on Amazon for the reissue of the book with another on of the brother books:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0373218850/sr=1-27/qid=1156140099/ref=sr_1_27/002-2431299-2369639?ie=UTF8&s=books

It's listed on a page of romance novels that discuss how to deal with DV in a positive way, so this might be it.

Good luck!!

Anne said...

Okay... I think you're right Rosie! And wouldn't you know it, I've got 66 Nora Roberts books on my shelf but NOT this series! *sigh* I'm a Nora "junkie" and have been collecting her books as I go along, but I've not gotten to those yet... but now I will for sure. I just really wanted to reread that story... I was in the mood for it for some reason.

Thank you sooooo much Rosie!

Rosie said...

Anne, I just had to check back this morning to see how you were doing with your search. I'm so glad you found it. It drives me crazy when I either can't find a book I know I have.

Enjoy your read!!