Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Despite averaging a book

every two to three days, I still feel ridiculously out of the loop. Of 2004's top 100, I read a mere third of the titles. Now, looking at the RITA nominees and winners, I see that I've read precious few of those.

Best First Book:

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Men I've Dated by Shane Bolks
A Texas State of Mind by Ann Defee
Show Her The Money by Stephanie Feagan (Winner)
Charmed & Dangerous by Candace Havens
Spirited Away by Pamela Labud
Worth Every Risk by Dianna Love Snell
Finders Keepers by Linnea Sinclair
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder (read and loved this one)

Best Contemporary Single Title

You've Got Male by Elizabeth Bevarly
Picket Fence by Kimberly Cates
A Crazy Kind of Love by Maureen Child
Turn My World Upside Down by Maureen Child
Heartbreak Hotel by Jill Marie Landis
Wedding Survivor by Julia London
Almost Perfect by Julie Ortolon
Lakeside Cottage by Susan Wiggs (Winner)

Skipping Inspirational and Long Contemp categories (latter appears to be series romances and I don't typically read those)...

Best Long Historical

A Most Unsuitable Man by Jo Beverley
This Rake of Mine by Elizabeth Boyle
The Devil to Pay by Liz Carlyle (Winner)
The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll
Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase
Sin and Sensibility by Suzanne Enoch
The Perfect Rake by Anne Gracie
To Pleasure a Prince by Sabrina Jeffries

Best Paranormal

The Misted Cliffs by Catherine Asaro
Ghost Walk by Heather Graham
My Shadow Warrior by Jen Holling (on my TBR list)
Spirited Away by Pamela Labud
A Taste of Crimson by Marjorie Liu (have read this author, just not this title)
After Midnight by Teresa Medeiros (on my TBR stack)
Gabriel's Ghost by Linnea Sinclair (Winner)
Dark Lover by J. R. Ward

Skipping Regency...don't typically read those either.

Best Romantic Suspense

In Deep Voodoo by Stephanie Bond
Close-Up by Virginia Kantra
Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen
Tangle of Lies by Patricia Potter
Survivor in Death by J.D. Robb (Winner)
Nothing To Fear by Karen Rose
Darker Than Midnight by Maggie Shayne
The Marriage Trap by Elizabeth Thornton

Best Short Historical

When We Meet Again by Victoria Alexander
The King's Mistress by Terri Brisbin
Abbie's Outlaw by Victoria Bylin
It Happened One Autumn by Lisa Kleypas
Highlander in Love by Julia London
To Love a Thief by Julie Ann Long
The Texan's Reward by Jodi Thomas (Winner) (have read this author, just not this title)
His Secondhand Wife by Cheryl St.John

Left off a couple more ambiguous categories... But overall, you would think I read something other than romance fiction. Either that, or I'm too busy plodding through my TBR list--comprised largely of one and two year old titles. Yeah, that's it. Ahem.

2 People Gabbed:

Karen Scott said...

Jen, you're not alone with regards to not having read many of these, I think I've only actually read one myself, Nora's.

Rosie said...

Jen, in days gone by I would have read most of the books nominated. In recent years I barely recognize some of the authors names. While alot of these names are familiar I think I've read about 4 of the books. I've begun to look at most awards as promotional tools rather based on any sort of merit. I've found the best books, leads and reviews by reader reviews...a far more trustworthy source.