Monday, August 14, 2006

Anyone Noticed...

That lately the majority of the books at Ellora's Cave are either BDSM, futuristic, or paranormal? What happened to the contemporaries? The romantic suspense? The comedies? I'm do not like BDSM in any way, shape, or form, and I'm picky about futuristics and/or paranormals because I've gotta be in the mood for them.

Does anyone know if this is going to be the new trend? If so, that means I'm going to have to do the majority of my ebook shopping elsewhere (been doing all of mine lately at Samhain).

Anyone else out there notice this?

7 People Gabbed:

Linda said...

Well, I was concerned when Gail mentioned that Darius was BDSM so I asked her about it. She replied the story was really dom/sub, not BDSM. Perhaps EC needs a new category?

Anne said...

See? I don't care for ANY of it, unless it's done in just such a way that it's not too noticeable and in such a way that the woman isn't humiliated or made to feel stupid. I HATE that. I so CAN'T relate to that, so I generally pass on these stories, even sub/dom... though the majority of Sarah McCarty's stories have a subtle form of BDSM in them because of her Alpha males, but it's done in a way that doesn't disgust me, if you get me? It's done as a way of gaining the female's trust rather than forcing her trust. And the majority of BDSM that I've read so does NOT cover it that way.

Erin the Innocent said...

I've noticed that trend and it's been good for my bank account *g*. I've had a few disappointments with some of the books I've bought there (more than I used to have) so I'm way pickier. I haven't really bought any new to me authors books at EC in a while. Only the auto buys.

Anonymous said...

I've notice that trend too. I keep all of my receipts from all the places I buy e-books from and I noticed the last time I bought anything from them was on 4/26! *GASP*
It seems Samhain has been getting a lot of my business lately.

KarenB

Karen Scott said...

I bought an EC book last week, the first in over 6 weeks, and guess what? It was a paranormal. It didn't live up to the blurb at all.

I remember a time when I used to buy at least three out of four EC releases, those days are long gone.

Personally, I effing hate BDSM. There's nothing that pushes my hot button like BDSM books. I hate dom/sub relationships, and I just don't get them. I don't consider them sexy at all.

Do you think part of the problem at EC are the new authors? It's been forever since I picked up a new to me author at EC and loved their books. There seems to have been a shift in focus, and it's been going on for well over a year now.


Also, have you noticed that some of the former EC big names, aren't writing as much for them these days? I wonder if this has to do with big name publishers picking them up... When was the last time Lora Leigh wrote a book for EC?

I'm with you Anne, give me the contemporaries anyday.

Erin the Innocent said...

Contemporaries or Romantic Suspense *s* I lurve romantic suspense books

Lori said...

So coming in to this conversation late, but I wholeheartedly agree. I've been buying most of my e-books from Samhain lately, too. And I SO don't read the paranormals, futuristic, shapeshifters, etc... although I have read a couple by my autobuy authors out of loyalty.