Tuesday, April 25, 2006

American Idol- 04/25/06

Well, the theme was Love Songs. I wasn't sure how the night was going to go, but for a few of the contestants I thought it would be way better than it was.

First came Katharine. She sang Whitney Houston's I Have Nothing from The Bodyguard soundtrack. It was good... but there are certain rules you follow when performing and competing on American Idol... one of them being you don't sing songs from Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, or Whitney Houston. Why? Because you will never do as good of a job as the original no matter how hard you try. But, regardless, I foresee Katharine as being safe.

Second came Elliott. Don't know the song, but it sounded great. One thing I don't like about Elliott though is that he holds his notes for too long... two or three beats all the time. He's good... I hope he's not the one to leave this week... because there some frighteningly awful performances tonight... and his was not amongst them.

Third was Kellie. She sang The Righteous Brothers' Unchained Melody. Oye. It was HORRIBLE, and that's being kind. She was flat and she looked bored, almost like she didn't want to sing but did it begrudgingly... and horrifically at that. Eeekks! If she's not in the bottom three, the damn show is rigged. She should be the one to leave this week. If not, I want to know why the hell not. She was the worst for two weeks in a row, get her dumb blonde ass outta there!

Fourth was Paris. She sang Barbara Streisand's The Way We Were. It was fabulous... a tad oversung in parts, but fabulous nonetheless. AND, she looked magnificent. I just loved her hair, all flipped out and wild. Amazing performance by Paris.

Fifth was Taylor singing James Ingram's Just Once. It was bad. Really bad. Flat. Boring. Tedious. Blech. Where was his fire? It's meant to be an emotionally gripping song, but it left me feeling bored and unsatisfied. IMO, it was a bottom three performance.

This week they saved the best for last... Chris, Chris, Chris. Yowza! He sang Bryan Adams' Have You Really Ever Loved A Woman and it was the best performance of the night! Not just because he's my favorite, but because he sang that song and he owned it. Man, that guy is fan-freaking-tastic! I tell ya, if American Idol made a CD of all the songs made this season, just his songs, they'd make a fortune. If he's in the bottom three, I'm never watching American Idol again. No more polls, no more blogs, no more watching it. Ever.

4 People Gabbed:

Kristie (J) said...

I thought the show was just meh. The only one who impressed me was (as usual) Chris. While I thought Paris sounded good, the whole song through I kept thinking "she's only 17 - what kind of memories can she have?" And she did overreact a bit. As to who should go home? Kelly. As to who I think will go home? Elliot. And speaking of Elliot - what the heck kind of medication was Ms Paula on last night?!?!? Did you see her crying after Elliot sang? That woman needs an intervention.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ann, I read your Idol reviews and enjoy them more than watching.

Actually I use your material. Everyone talks about Idol, its weird already, so instead of standing there with a blank look on my face I quote Ann. I always give you credit, not stealing your words, it works. They continue, -they were not interested in my thoughts anyway, quoting a well known reviewer is more interesting to them- and we're all happy.

Anne said...

Gail! Spankie! LOL Feel free to use my words anytime.. no need to quote me.. you can steal them. I won't sue, I promise *G* Who do you talk to about AI? Where? Online? Blogging? Or Yahoo groups? I'm nosy and I've gotta know LOL

Anonymous said...

Gezz Ann, it's real life where everyone talks about Idol. Even at the DH's job, and thats ALL guys. Not just guys, the type of males who communicate primarily with grunts and clicks. It's amazing.