Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Reading Dilemma...

Whether it is in ebook or print form, I've noticed the majority of the new releases happen to be of the paranormal genre, which, for me, causes a bit of a problem. I am somewhat of a paranormal fan but I much more prefer contemporary, so I'm finding it harder and harder to find new books to buy/read.

I've tried chick lit... so not for me. I've tried historicals and there are a scant few that I enjoy. I've tried relationship novels which are nice to read but not in abundance. So, I go out and buy paranormals that look good, interesting, from authors I know and trust, thinking that I'll read them because I'll have nothing else to read, yet they are still gathering dust on the shelves. *sigh*

So, what do I do? Just resign myself to the fact that the paranormal genre has taken over and read those? Or do I dare hope that this is just a phase and that the contemporaries will soon come back with a vengeance? I suppose there are those of you who are in the same boat with historicals as I am with contemporaries... so what do you do to fill the reading void? Anyone have any suggestions?

6 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

Oh, Anne. I am SO with you on this. I am a straight ahead girl. Give me a good contemporary or a good historical any day. I really am not into the paranormal thing much at all. I do read a few from a few very trusted authors, who probably know who they are. But the paranormal genre really has taken off like a rocket, and I can only hope that time honored classics will make a resurgence. But until then, I buy fewer and fewer new books. Believe me, my husband has noticed the decrease in our bookstore expenditures! (and appreciates it *g*).

I find myself rereading beloved books far more than I ever have before. I stay on the lookout for new releases from my favorite contemporary authors. I look for recommendations from friends (and you know who you are) on contemporaries I might not have read yet. Otherwise, I wait somewhat patiently for this trend to pass.

I look at it like fashion. Trends come and go, but the classic looks are always in style. Except that pants hanging off the butt thing has lasted waaaaay longer than I ever thought it would, but that's a whole other blog topic!

Lori said...

Oh, BTW, did you get that Kathryn Shay I sent you?

Sam said...

I have lots of different genres in my writing - I love paranormal, but three of my books are straight contemporaries (A Grand Passion, The Argentine Lover, and Darla's Valentine)
There are books over at Cerridwen Press that are straight contemporaries - I heard wonderful things about Kathryn Allred's Sweet Gum Tree and I have it sitting in my TBR pile (I can't wait to get some free time to read!)

Anne said...

Lori- I do so hope this is just a trend. Don't get me wrong, I do read some paranormal but only by specific authors who I know and trust, but give me a good contemporary and I'm in heaven. *G*

Marilyn- I've already read both of those books by Susan Mallery. The minute one of her books comes out, I devour it. And I love that at eharlequin.com you can buy the books one month in advance. Good deal there.

Sam- I'm going to have to check out your contemporaries for sure. From the titles alone they sound really good. *G* I've read Kathryn Allred's Sweet Gum Tree.. excellent book. You're sure to love it Sam. I've read all of Kathryn's books for that matter. Sweet Gum Tree is different from the rest of her books as it's more relationship novel but very well done, and the other four of her books are more harlequin-esque but I REALLY enjoyed them. I've read Nothing Personal from Elise Adams from Cerridwen Press and that was fabulous too. There are a lot of books, just not enough to keep up with my reading appetite it seems. LOL

Ann said...

I can relate, Anne. I've always been a contemporary reader and writer--although I do love a good historical.

My fourth book was contracted last week and I'd say it's a contemp with para elements (also some very light BDSM *gg*). What I loved about writing it was the total freedom to explore all the senses, including the sixth one that often exists between lovers anyway. I hope you'll give it a try when it comes out *gg*.

I can't see myself ever doing vamps or weres, but out-of-body experiences, telepathy, lucid dreaming and other things we think of as paranormal fascinate me, and, I hope, wouldn't be too "out there" to captivate a solid contemporary reader.

Rest assured you'll get many more contemps from me. But unfortunately, I'm a slower writer than many of my EC sistahs ;)

Lori said...

That's good to hear, Ann. I really enjoy your books. And I don't mind a little telepathy here or there, or para elements... it's the vamp thing (usually) and the whole sleeping with animals thing and the freaky people from another world thing that is usually a turnoff for me. I speak in generalities, because as I said above, there are a few authors' paranormals that I will read, but they are the exception rather than the rule.