Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Dare I get political???

Here in California, we've got quite a debate going on. It seems that one Michael Morales raped, brutally beat with a hammer, stabbed and murdered a 17 year old girl 25 years ago. For this, he was tried, convicted and given the death sentence. Whether you are a death penalty proponent or opponent, the law is what it is, and he was fairly tried and sentenced.

His execution was to be carried out at the stroke of midnight on Tuesday, amidst much hoopla. It seems his lawyers had filed an appeal with the US District Court stating that lethal injection was cruel and unusual punishment because there was a far and outside chance that the murderer might not be completely unconscious at the time that the lethal cocktail is administered and might feel some discomfort. Poor baby.

So the judge ordered that either an anesthesiologist or two had to be present to assure the murderer was completely unconscious and could feel no pain or that the state give him a lethal dose of barbiturates. Stupid state went with the first option. So... on to Monday night when 30 minutes before midnight, the anesthesiologists on hand decided it went against their ethics to be present at an execution. (I'm not complaining, but they didn't know this before agreeing to go in the first place?). OK. Execution postponed several hours until 7:30 Tuesday night. Until the state decided it couldn't be sure it could fully comply with the judge's orders. So the execution is postponed at least until a hearing in May.

Now, whether or not you are a death penalty proponent or opponent, this strikes me as just plain wrong. This guy brutally raped a young girl. He beat her senseless with a frickin hammer. He stabbed her mercilessly. And we are worried that there is a 1 in a million chance he might feel a twitch when the needle goes in his arm? Forgive me if I can't help wishing that he feels a whole lot more than that.

And where the hell is George W., the man who let gazillions of people be put to death as governor of Texas, when there is finally an issue that we agree on and I want his support? Oh, he's signing away our ports to the United Arab Emirates...

2 People Gabbed:

Anne said...

Okay... now that just pisses me off big time! The courts take into consideration the MURDERER AND RAPIST'S feelings of pain and all that... WHAT ABOUT THE GOD DAMN VICTIM???? Okay.. this story touched a sore spot with me. The victim was stabbed, raped, and beaten with a hammer, yet they worry about the damn inmate's discomfort? Fuck that. People like that deserve the electric chair or gas chamber where they can suffer at least part or as much as the victim in which they brutally tortured and killed.

The damn court system is all screwed up, I tell ya. SOMEONE needs to put an end to this crap. Hell, my son went in and had a procedure done and had an IV placed.. he felt pain. Was that wrong of the doctors? I had blood drawn and I felt the stick... that HAS to be wrong too, right? Oye. For Christ's sake... I'm stopping talking now because I could rant on and on and on about this. I'll spare you the rest since I already cursed a blue streak.

Karen Scott said...

Jesus Christ, that would surely piss me off if I was the parent of the girl that was raped and murdered. There's just no justice however you look at it!

BTW, is the comment moderation on on purpose?