Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Reader Restlessness- Guest Blog By Jennifer B!

Thanks to Jennifer B for the wonderful guest blog (who will hopefully be a regular blogger here).. and a subject that fits my life on so many levels......

I read to relax. To leave behind my life’s responsibilities and escape into the emotion, humor, conflict and triumph that romance novels offer. When I was younger, and could stay awake in a dark theater for two hours, I found the same escape and enchantment in movies. The escape is my fun.

So why is it then, that the source of my “fun” can also be the source of my stress? How is it that indulging in my favorite pastime can be smooth soothing sailing one week and a pitching, rolling nightmare the next?

I’ve no idea. Nor do I hold out hope that any of you have the answer. In fact, I’m guessing you suffer the same.

  • Any of this sound familiar?
  • Coming off a great read, you find yourself ridiculously impatient to ‘fall in love’ again. So much so that you can barely tolerate the first 50 pages of any book you pick up. Who has time for the setup, world-building, etc.? I want the romance! Now!
  • You pick up a book. Start it. And, when you’re not utterly captivated by page 2 or 10, you regret your choice.
  • But alas, you HAVE to finish the book. We all know that. Don’t we?
  • Then you notice the world around you. Listen to other readers going on about their latest reads, the newest titles. And panic begins to build. While you’re wallowing in a book (you’re on page 12 now), everyone else is reading the good stuff.
  • And you’ll NEVER catch up.
  • Never mind the 15 titles highly recommended from trusted friends. The same 15 titles you’ve COMMITTED yourself to reading out of respect for said friends.
  • And because you KNOW they will be excellent reads.
  • But then, you thought you knew that about the book you’re schlepping through now.
  • Of course, the book itself could be very, very good. The problem could be you.
  • That’s it. It’s a mood thing. You have to be in the right mood or mindset for this book.
  • But if not this book, then what book? Already doubting your last choice, how in the hell can you confidently select another title?
  • Is this where you go for the comfort read? A re-read?
  • Are you crazy? You can’t justify a re-read in the face of mounting NEW titles?

What happens to you in the face of this paralysis? For me, it means no more fun. Yep. I stop reading. Sometimes for a day or two. Sometimes for a week or two.

Don’t pity me though. Like any smart woman, I use the non-reading time to stock up. I spend quality time with my husband. We watch TV together. (Always good to remind myself why I prefer to read.) We don our gear, hop on our snowmobiles and head out as soon as the temperatures dip below zero. We go hiking. In the snow. To check on his deer blinds. And so on.

This way, when my slump is over, I will have accrued hours upon hours of ‘me time’, with no guilt.

How do I know when the slump is over? I know it’s time to snap out of it when my husband looks at me with understanding and fear, and asks, “Can’t find a good book?” The only other time he uses that wary tone is when he surmises, “PMS?”

2 People Gabbed:

Lori said...

LMAO Jen! I totally relate to your entire blog. Especially the end. Bob reacts the very same way... to both situations!

Linda said...

What Lori said :) :) :)
Although I haven't had a reading slump in a long while, the last time I did I moved into needlework. Made a couple of sweaters as well as needlepoint and cross stitch pictures.