Friday, December 30, 2005

Author/Reader Question Time

I've got a pressing question that I'm just dying to ask everyone and I hope I get a lot of answers because I really would like to know what the majority think. Okay, so here it is.... when you are reading suspense/mystery/ romantic suspense, etc., do you prefer to know the "whodunit" part of the book from the get go? Or do you prefer to wait til the very end to find out?

Some books I read have just some information of the killer/bad guy.... the author takes us into their mind during bits and pieces of the book, which sometimes is okay because it tells us the "why" of it all. Others have it stated blatently who the bad guy is pretty much in the beginning of the book. But, me, I prefer to wait til the very end to find out the who, what, where, when, why, and how. I like the suspense. I like when an author takes me in different directions so it could be one of any number of bad guys, ya know? If they tell me out and out who it is before the end, for me, there is no point in going on with the story from that point because I already know what I need to know.

So. What's your take? Do you like the knowing? Does it not ruin the suspense for you? Or are you like me, and need to wait til the very end because if you already know the who, the suspense is pretty much over. Which end of the spectrum do you fall under??? If you don't want to let people know who you are, do the anonymous thing... but please, please, please let me know your preference. I'm a VERY curious person by nature (as most of you know), so this will help appease my curiosity. I thank you all in advance. :^)

8 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

I prefer to have to keep guessing throughout the book. I don't like knowing right from the start. If I find a book that makes me keep changing my mind as I read on it's definitely a keeper!

Anonymous said...

I prefer that the author taking me on the journey of discovery, especially all the little side trips that may not seem revelant, but contribute to the overall suspense of the story. I prefer not finding out the "whodoneit" until the end as it builds the overall building suspense and usually I'm wrong, which makes it even more enjoyable for me. Hope that helps.

Alyssa said...

I prefer to wonder about who it is as I read the book, although I can still enjoy it if I know. It depends on the execution.

:)
Alyssa

Anonymous said...

I want the author to be one step ahead of me. If I know who did it, aleast confound me with the why?? I adore books, movies, whatever..that make me go.."OMG" at the end. I want the suspense to deepen, not just play out.

Lori said...

I'd rather not know. I'm usually pretty good at figuring it out, so the mystery and the "why" need to be especially good. Although, I have read several books (Mariah Stewart comes to mind) where you know the bad guy from the get go, and then the story really needs to be good behind it.

Kristie (J) said...

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'd just as soon know from the beginning. Since I have a very terrible habit of reading the end before I get there, it's spoiled anyway. So if I as a reader know from the beginning, I don't feel so bad when I "cheat". If that makes any sense/

Karen Scott said...

Like Lori, there aren't very many mysteries where I don't figure who the bad guy is.

Having said that, I would rather not know until the end.

What Patricia Cornwell sometimes does, is to give you the killer's perspective, but you never know who he is.

Jennifer B. said...

I agree with the majority here Anne. I prefer to be kept guessing and I appreciate those mysteries or whodunits that are more difficult to figure out.