Friday, October 28, 2005

The Poll Controversy

As you all know I've been doing polls of favorite Ellora's Cave authors for the last two weeks, well it seems there are a few disgruntled people out there who think my poll is "pitting one author against another." Well, from the feedback I've received, that isn't how it is at all.

Then there's the, "I think you should have a 'none of the above' and 'all of the above' on the poll." Hmmm... let me think. *Short pause* No. It's my poll and that's not how I want it.

Then we've got the "But they're my friends..." And? The problem is? You can't choose? Then don't vote. That was easy, right? We'll one would think, but then it seems some people just love to beat a dead horse.

I was rather surprised to have gotten this strong of a reaction by a few people. I mean, it is just a poll after all. It's not like it's a review or anything that matters. Just a lowly poll, on a lowly blog.

But did it end politely? For me, yes. For them, it's hard to say because I didn't bother to keep up. Here's my response:

(As posted on EC Chat)

The polls will start with EC authors and then I will move on to another publisher so there is no singling out or favortism. No one has to vote for any one author, in fact, no one has to vote at all. It's just for fun with no agenda or prizes to be won. Having a "None of the above" or "All of the above" detracts from the original purpose which is to find out people's favorites. For those who don't want to choose a favorite,that option is covered by not voting. The same holds true for those who don't have a favorite.

So, here's my advice to those who think my poll isn't fair or doesn't have enough options. Don't vote. If you don't like the poll, ignore it. And since this is my blog and my poll and I think I'll keep things the way I started them. Thanks for stopping by! ; )

6 People Gabbed:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. FAR has a poll each month for a publisher and all of the authors they want you to vote for. I wonder of they get this kind of feedback when they poll each month ot even TRS who does a poll each month, authors who are also with the same pub. Some authors regularly ask for their fans to vote for them. I vote for either who asks 1st or for the one that I realllllly like. It is a decision a reader makes, either vote or don't.

Ann said...

Can you see me rolling my eyes over here? Some folks could use a bleach job.

BTW - where am I on your list? Oh. I'm not. *gg*

Anne said...

Joy- You are exactly right.. what's the deal there? They pick on lowly me with a BLOG for heaven's sake and leave the review sites alone? SHEESH! LOL

Lauren- It was on the EC Chat group a couple days ago. A few(THREE) people felt the need to tel me their opinion on my poll and I'm not sure if they were thinking I'd change it or what. But I'm not changing it and I didn't appreciate the 3-on-1 so I felt compelled to blog. : )

LOL Ann... you are on my list now! : ) And I agree with you on the bleach job! Too funny!

Anne said...

LOL Lauren... no, definitely NOT a good one.

Karen Scott said...

You know what Anne, IT'S YOUR BLOG AND YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT GODAMMIT!!!

Anyway, I love the idea of pitting authors against each other, it makes for fun reading, but that may be just me *g*

I think the polls are fab, and I hope you carry on doing them, sod everybody else's opinion. If they want fair and politically correct, then they can bloody well devise their own. Arses.

OCRewiews said...

Hmm yes I saw that. I don't read the EC group much because it seems to end up like a cliche or something - you get a handful of (maybe ten)people posting with high frequency and everyone else (Is the membership in thousands now?) just lurks. I honestly couldn't see the problem with the poll - some people ought to get out and smell the fresh air or something.