Friday, May 19, 2006

Guest Blog: Sarah McCarty- "Rabid Fans, You Go Girl!!"

There's this latest trend in the internet community to suggest that authors with a very strong, vocal fan base are somehow damaged by this fan base. That this is a negative thing. (pardon my expression of puzzlement) The fans are referred to as Rabid Fans or Fan Girls. It's not a complimentary term. Promo posts by cliques of authors who have a pact to hype each others books are seen as fine, but let an individual speak up on a bulletin board or blog whose only motivation is the fact that they were so blown away by an author's voice that they have to share, and suddenly, we have suspect, negative behavior.

Quite frankly, I don't get the logic. The ONLY way an author can enthrall a reader to that point is to write a book that touched that reader on every level. A book they can't forget. A book that gave them such joy, they want to share it with others. To me, the ability to write a book that generates that level of excitement in a reader speaks of a strong talent I need to check out. I tend to take with a grain of salt postings from authors recommending other authors from their publishing house as I can't tell if it's a brownie point promo moment or the real thing, but give me an enthusiastic-I'm-blown-away-fan speaking up, and as a reader, I pay attention, because quite frankly, the hunt for a great book is a never ending endeavor.

It's true, enthusiastic fans don't hesitate to speak up when asked who their favorite authors are. They answer questions about the books their favorite authors write when they find them posted. They vote for them in contests. They do what they can for the authors they enjoy by getting the word out about their enjoyment. They do it, in part, because they want to share the thrill they themselves received when they had that special moment of connection with a book that touched their hearts, and they do it because it's a way of saying thank you to that author for that experience. I'm not sure where along the way it was decided that this was a bad thing, but I don't agree. To me, genuine enthusiasm is something so rarely found these days, it's to be appreciated, not scorned.

I confess, there are some authors for which I could be labeled a fan girl; Catherine Anderson, Julie Garwood, Robin Owens, and coming up hard into my fan girl level of enthusiasm, Marjorie Liu, and Sunny. I do not hesitate to recommend these authors to anyone who asks. If I'm in a bookstore and someone asks me for a suggestion, I bebop right on over and hand them a book backed by my opinion of why it's a "must read". If there's a readers choice award I can vote in, I make the effort to give my opinion. In my mind, it's the least I can do for authors who've provided me with so much pleasure through the years. If someone posts a dislike of one of their books online, I counter with my own logical assessment of what I saw as the books strengths. Not every book is going to work for every reader. That being a given, I don't see anything wrong with posting a differing opinion in support of a book I love.

And yes, I've been told by other author's that I have some major league devoted fans. I'm not bothered by it. Truth be told, I'm amazed and flattered. I can't think of a higher compliment an author can receive than having his/her books on someone's keeper shelf and having his/her characters be so vivid in a reader's mind that they can envision them as real people.

My yahoo group has always been a very informal place where we tend discuss books of every type, diets, kids, and the ups and downs of everyday life. Usually, those discussions are full of laughter and wry humor. It's a fun place and we all work to keep it that way. To the point, there are even some members that haven't yet read any of my books but are hanging out for the good time :-) When an accusation got back to the group that "Sarah McCarty has some devoted fans" the resounding response was a laughing, "Heck yeah!" It was seen as a growth moment. The Mobettes had gone from invisible to known. I even created a pin to celebrate the moment. Along with the Mobette logo, it also says, "Rabid Fan and Proud of it!"

So, I have to say, as a rabid fan girl of several authors, I'm not going to apologize. My enthusiasm is genuine and stems from the pleasure those authors' talents have given me. And for those fans of mine who have that level of enthusiasm for my work, there's only one thing to say.

Thank you.

Best,

Sarah

12 People Gabbed:

Joni said...

I got one of the pins, but am awaiting my very own alpha. What a great post Sarah...I couldn't have said it better myself!

It's good to see that you are not shy when it comes to speaking out for other favorite authors than constantly trying to push your own books and not getting to know your fans in the meantime as some authors I've come across tend to do and some who use another author's fanbase primarily to promote their works and have yet to speak to the fans of that author and get to know them. Why the moderators of the author or the author her/himself doesn't put a stop to the particular author pushing her stuff within the group I haven't a clue. It's inconsiderate and rude! I'm sure you know what I'm referring to. I have to say though I've not seen this occurring in your egroup and hope I never do...Love your books and your group of fans who've come to mean so much to me in such a short time just as much as you have! I thank you!

Joni

Erin the Innocent said...

I think the negativity about the term rabid fan girl comes from those fans who go on the attack when someone doesn't fall in love with their favourite author (or whoever they're a fan of, musician, actor, etc.) to the same degree as they have. I know in a number of groups of moments that I've held back comments that would have been interpreted as negative by the 'fan girls' so I could avoid the melodrama that would come from those comments. It's just not worth the work it would take to defend my thoughts. *shrugs*

So am I a fan girl? Yes, of course I am *g* You don't get to be a person who loves reading as much as I do without being a fan girl of some authors. I know I'd either go mute or be a giggling idiot if I met some of my favourite authors LOL.

Am I a RABID fan girl? definitely NOT. That takes too much negative energy and anger...to go on the defensive for something that really, you probably have no part of and you are likely misunderstanding.

I hope this is making sense *g* I'm having myself a beverage of a sociable nature right now and I'm starting to confuse myself so I'll just quit now LOL

Lori said...

Well, I have to say, from the amount of pleasure that reading your books has given me (get your minds out of the gutter, people - sheesh!), I guess that makes me a rabid fan girl. I've enjoyed every last minute of every last page. So thank you Saarh!

I'd say that to any author whose books made me feel that way, too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Katie. I believe you are on the Alpha waiting list.;-)

Joni, I understand what you are talking about.

Lori, snicker!

Erin, Rabid fan girl used to refer to the hyper defensive situation you've described, (which frankly I found amusing the way one finds a child flexing their will amusing) but now it seems to extend to anyone with strong feelings pro or con. About the only people I see really talking about books on lists anymore, are authors vested in other authors either through friendship or a joint marketing effort. The change become quite obvious over the last year. (I lurk all over the net.) I think it's a shame that a fear of confrontation or fear of being labeled has stifled reader discussion on readers lists. I love to talk books, the mechanics of why it worked or didn't work for me, how I hope the author takes the next book etc. It’s hard to find that anymore.

As an author, my opinion is reined in which means I've been getting my fix vicariously which explians why I have noticed the difference. It saddens me. I don't think readers should be reined in whether they hate or love a book. While one could wish that people would express their opinions in a civil manner, not all will. And while one could wish that people would know not to post negative opinions about an author on an authors fan group, logic does not always control the send key. It always seems to me that when a free exchange of information occurs things balance out. Scathing reviews are balanced by those who saw the book differently. (fans who feel compelled to display another side of the same book) Tirades are always obvious and I don't know anyone who reads an emotional vent masquerading as a review who immediately thinks "Well, there’s an opinion I want to grab hold of." Especially as these tirades are usually not well thought out, have huge holes in the logic and generally don't make the venter appear overly intelligent. I’m wondering if the recent proliferation of blogs with the theme "here I can speak freely" is a direct reaction to the indirect social pressure to make no waves in any direction.

Owners or moderators of yahoo groups and/or blogs are responsible for the tone of the group. I know on my yahoo group I allow any discussion on books from anywhere. (I'm as avid a reader as anyone else) but I don't allow scathing tirades. People can talk about what they don't like in general terms but there's no ripping a book apart by specifics because there's no knowing whose lurking and just knowing a book didn't work for someone is painful enough for an author. There's no need to eviscerate an author because the post will get back to them via the well meaning soul who felt “they should know”. Have I ever had to intercept a message and ask the author reword to a less aggressive tone? Absolutely. I don't mind dissenting opinions. I do mind attacks. If readers are on a list where attacks are considered the lifeblood of interaction and they are uncomfortable, they should leave. Sometimes joining a community is like trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. The upside is, with all the communities out there, everyone can find one that fits.

I’m just missing the honest discussion and want it back, including the rabid fan girls who, if you look at it objectively, can be depended upon to add color.:-)

Jaynie said...

I agree with Erin. You can't just change the definition of what a rabid fan girl is.

I will always be enthusiastic about my favs - but never rabid.

I have to moderate a list where we've had hideous trouble with the rabid fan girls - it isn't something to be proud of.

Anonymous said...

Jaynie-

The definition has already changed. Fear of being perceived as one/criticized as one has already mutated the definition from its original narrow confines to a much broader spectrim and it's this evolution that is bringing on greater ripples of change. Nothing is stagnant. Not as long as there's interaction colored by perception and interpretation.

Linda said...

Sarah, I appreciate your effort to make "rabid fan girl" an acceptable label but I agree with Erin. I'm a fan, but I've been a victim of a rabid fan girl and I hope I never am one.

Now I am a BIG fan of Sarah's and quite a few other authors (notably most of Sarah's list) but as I say to football fanatics "it's only a game", I say to reader fans, "it's fiction, people". I feel sorry for people who are so caught up in the lives of others that they use them as the impetus for emotion in their own lives. That also applies to the characters in books.

Anonymous said...

Just a quick clarification before I head out for the day. Extreme fan behavior is very acccepted in our society, very prevalent in the attitutude of the public towards sports teams, movie stars, television shows. As I view the internet as a smaller microcosm of society as a whole, I am not surprised to find extremem fans online. To think groups on the internet would not reflect the norms of the greater society in my opinion is naive, therefore rabid fan girls of the original definition do not bother me anymore than absurdly painted fans shouting obscenities in the seats of a hockey game bother me. I tend to ignore both.

However, I also do not believe that criticizing these people accomplishes a change in their behavior because their perception of their goal and the means they go about attaining it in their minds is "right" What I do believe is accomplished by ranting on about the very few extremeists out there is to make those that are not guilty of the behavior worry that they MIGHT be guilty of the behavior or be perceived as being guilty and thereby start putting checks on themselves "just in case."

Ok. I've got to fly. Have a good day all. Hope I didn't misword something and upset anyone. I'm sure I'll find out if I did when I get back.

Sarah, waiitng for the day when Rabid Fan mutates to a positive thing the way the word Bitch has.

Lori said...

I just posted this comment over at Karen's but it bears repeating here as well, given that I sense some disagreement starting to build up...

I find it all so very interesting, myself. Now, I love all my fellow girlfriends, you all know how much you mean to me, and I wouldn't call any of you "rabid", so don't think this applies to any of you. But this type of behavior that Sarah blogged about makes me want to say... Don't any of you have a life for crap's sake?!

(Giving thanks to Erin for this amazingly fantastic phrase)

I mean, hell, if you have the kind of time and energy to go around bashing people who don't agree with your opinion, by all means go for it. I, personally, have a life. I am happy to share my opinion about who my favorite authors, singers, people, anything... are if you ask, perhaps even if you don't ask - after all, isn't that why we all blog? Take it or leave it for all I care. Just be polite about the way you do it.

Hence, the difference between a "fangirl" and a "rabid fangirl" IMHO.

Anonymous said...

what diminishes discussions isn't the labeling of fans as rabid fan girls, it is the RFG themselves who are constantly on the attack against anyone who dares critisize their favorite author's works.

The regular fans or just regular readers cannot post any critical discussion of a book without engendering a response like "how can you be so mean" or "her books are wonderful." RRG rarely add anything meaningful and can never acknowledge that the books have flaws. Negative discussions are perceived as a personal attack on the author according to the RFG. You see it in the labeling itself. I am a fan girl of Sarah McCarty v. I am a fan girl of Sarah McCarty's books.

There is a big difference in the fan girl and the RFG and I strongly attribute chill in the discussion community to RFG.

Anonymous said...

If you are going to voice why you disliked or liked a book, be big enough to hear why someone else disagrees or agrees with your assessment. There's nothing wrong with a lively debate, and there's nothing wrong with a strong opinion. I like what Sarah is saying about reclaiming the term "rabid" in much the same way that "bitch" is being thrown all over the place (who started that trend, I wonder).

Furthermore, I think each person can define what level of rabidity works for them or doesn't and in each person's space they can regulate it. Who says what's logical, or reasonable, where is the manual on appropriate behavior? So now it's ok to attack readers who we criticize for attacking readers? Those critical of outspoken fans are the ones who promote strong opinions and loud thoughts. You can't have it both ways.


Jane says there is a difference between being a fan of an author and a fan of their books, and I say it's not as cut and dried as that. Readers form relationships with authors based on their books. What about the readers who consistently pimp certain authors because, "Her books are great and she's really sweet." I've already read tons of posts from readers who say they won't buy books from a certain author because of her online personality -- is that behavior rabid?

There are a couple of readers who pimp authors -- for some readers that's really all they do -- and use their places to promote authors in order to gain support for their own impending titles/stories. Is that rabid behavior a more acceptable form within our community?

Jaynie said...

I didn't want to hog up your comments so I blogged it too.

Sarah and i will have to agree to disagree I think. Hopefully her rabid fan chicks are fine with that *g*